Finnfund is a Finnish development financier and professional impact investor. We build a sustainable world by investing in responsible and profitable businesses in developing countries. Each year we invest 200–250 million euros in 20-30 projects, emphasising renewable energy, sustainable forestry, sustainable agriculture, financial institutions and digital infrastructure and solutions. Today Finnfund’s investments and commitments total about 1,070 billion euros, half of them in Africa. The company has about 90 employees.
We are now looking for a person with strong experience on climate finance frameworks (both mitigation and adaptation finance), in other words a
Senior Impact Adviser to our Development Impact Team
for a full-time, permanent position in Helsinki.
What you will be doing
You will participate in the preparation of new investments by joining the teams led by Investment Managers. This will entail active participation in due diligence work, engagement with Finnfund’s investees on development impact matters, and conducting ex ante assessments of the anticipated development impacts of Finnfund’s new investments. These assessments are performed by using Finnfund’s proprietary development impact assessment tool, DEAT.
As a climate finance specialist, you will also be
- Coordinating Finnfund’s climate work and ensuring adherence to relevant international standards in our investment process. This entails capacity building and support to various teams at Finnfund
- Participating in the development of a common methodology for aligning all new investments with the objectives of the Paris Agreement, and leading and supporting application of that methodology in Finnfund’s investment process
- Leading accounting of carbon removals and emissions at investment and portfolio level
- Supporting management in devising a strategy for Finnfund to remain carbon net negative
- Supporting further incorporation of climate risk assessment in Finnfund’s investment process
- Supporting/leading Finnfund’s preparation for the TCFD aligned reporting
- Participating in relevant international and national working groups for developing climate change mitigation and adaptation approaches, tools and initiatives.
Who we are looking for
An ideal candidate should have a master’s degree in a relevant field and approximately 10 years of applicable professional experience. Understanding the role of financial institutions, and Development Finance Institutions especially, in combatting climate change is considered a great asset, as well as prior knowledge and understanding of the EU Taxonomy, Greenhouse gas protocol and Partnership for Carbon Accounting Financials. Understanding and experience of the nexus between gender and development is a strong bonus and experience in working with and in emerging markets is highly valued.
Excellent writing and communication skills in English is a prerequisite and other language skills (especially French) a strong asset.
What’s in it for you
We offer a unique opportunity to work as development finance professional focusing on impact, profitability and sustainability. You will be based in Helsinki. Employee well-being, work-life balance and job satisfaction are important to Finnfund and we offer our employees health care services that go beyond what the law requires, and we support our people’s sports and cultural activities. Through this, Finnfund motivates its employees to take care of their well-being and health.
Get in touch
For more information, please contact Head of Impact Juho Uusihakala, tel. +358 50 549 3198 preferably on October 26th between 2 pm and 4 pm or on October 27th between 10 am and 12 am. During other times, Nina Kalajoki, MPS recruitment consultant, will respond to enquiries at +358 40 5695229 or email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application by 31st of October 2021 at the latest. Please attach your CV and salary request with your application here.
We encourage applications from qualified individuals from a wide range of backgrounds. We are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences, and abilities.