January 27, 2022
We are looking for an Environmental and Social Specialist (forestry)
Finnfund is a Finnish development financier and impact investor. We build a sustainable future and generate lasting impact by investing in businesses that solve global development challenges. We invest 200–250 million euros in 20–30 companies in developing countries each year. Our focus sectors include renewable energy, sustainable forestry, sustainable agriculture, financial institutions, and digital infrastructure and solutions. Today Finnfund’s investments and commitments total about 1.070 billion euros, half of them in Africa. The company has 90 employees.
We are now looking for an Environmental and Social Specialist (forestry)
for a full-time, permanent position in Helsinki.
Sustainable forestry has long been one of Finnfund’s focus areas and at the end of 2020, our investments in forestry were worth 172 million euros, which represented 18% of the total portfolio and commitments. This is higher than any other development finance institution, making Finnfund a leading global investor in forestry. Finnfund invests in commercial plantations and related industries, such as sawmills and plywood mills. In our work, Finnfund considers various roles of forests, both natural and planted. They provide a wide range of ecosystem services and have a critical role in climate change mitigation, adaptation and protecting biodiversity.
We are looking for an experienced environmental and social specialist with a forestry-related degree and experience to join Finnfund’s environmental and social (E&S) team. We offer a vantage point and exciting working environment related to sustainable development finance and impact investing.
What you will be doing
Your role will be strongly focusing on our sustainable forestry portfolio and new investments in the commercial plantations, natural forests, agroforestry systems and related industries. As a part of the E&S team, you will also get to work with other sectors we invest in: renewable energy, sustainable agriculture, financial institutions and digital infrastructure and solutions. The E&S specialist reports to the E&S team manager.
The responsibilities of an environmental and social specialist (forestry) include:
- assessment and monitoring of the environmental, social, climate and biodiversity impacts of our investee companies, focusing on forestry and according to Finnfund’s sustainability policy
- strong focus on biodiversity risk assessment and management
- development of E&S documentation and reporting systems
- providing E&S forestry expertise and guidance to investees and internally within the organization
- any other tasks included in the E&S specialist work
Who we are looking for
An ideal candidate for this position has
- forestry-related university degree or agriculture, biodiversity management or similar with forestry focus
- 10+ years of working experience in forestry
- strong working experience in E&S risk management
- proficient verbal and written English skills (Finnish, Spanish and/or French and/or Portuguese skills desirable)
- strong interest in Sustainable Development Goals and responsible business
- experience in sustainable finance and/or impact investing in emerging markets is considered an asset
- experience of the agriculture sector, and/or biodiversity management is an asset
- practical experience of applying sustainability standards of the development finance institutions, especially the IFC Performance Standards
- an analytical mindset
- experience from working in a multicultural environment, practical experience in our target countries is desirable
The position requires travel in Finnfund’s target countries (once it is safe to do so with regards to the COVID-19 pandemic). We hope you can start in February 2022 or as soon as possible.
What’s in it for you
We offer a unique opportunity to work as a development finance professional focusing on impact, profitability and sustainability. Employee well-being, work-life balance and job satisfaction are important to Finnfund and we offer our employees health care services that go beyond what the law requires, and we support our people’s sports and cultural activities. Through this, Finnfund motivates its employees to take care of their well-being and health.
We are based in Helsinki. Finland is consistently ranked as the happiest country in the world, and Helsinki is one of the best cities globally to live in.
Get in touch
For more information about the position, please contact Manager, Environmental and social Riikka Thomson, +358 406 341 357 on 28 January between 9 am and 10.30 am Eastern European time or on 1 February between 1 pm and 2.30 pm Eastern European time. During other times, the MPS Consultant Nina Kalajoki will respond to enquiries at +358 20 746 9413.
We look forward to receiving your application by 9 February 2022, at the latest. Please attach your CV and salary request with your application.
We encourage applications from qualified individuals from a wide range of backgrounds. While we have a common vision, we value a team made up of diverse skills, experiences, and abilities.